Friday, June 25, 2010

Sitting at work, Thanking God for air conditioning.

Yesterday night was not on my favorite list of "best nights in e.d. ever"...of course we had that big storm race through Goshen, which I hear now had more like 4 tornados in it!  Then we lost power in the e.d...not our emergency power obviously...but apparently the things we "don't really need"...like air conditioning.  I beg to differ...Bootsie and I sweated our you know what's off...for 10 HOURS!  10 looonnnngggg hours.  Plus, I will save you all much nausea and vomiting by NOT describing the smell that occurs in 10 hours of no cool air and no air movement in an emergency room...not pretty.

Then I got home, couldn't wait to get in the air conditioning..and again, Thank God we did not lose our power.  So I go in the house, think I'm still just warm from work...take a shower..think I'm still just warm from work..get in bed..think..OK..I can not possibly still be this hot from work..and what the heck...I'm glistening (read- sweating like a pig).  So, naturally I go downstairs and check the thermostat...it's 85 degrees in the house!!!  I call Brian at work, "oh, I guess the air went out again with the storm, you need to go down into the basement and flip the breaker"...ok..I have no problem doing this..just one question?  "you seriously did not notice it was 85 degrees in this house??!!??"..."No, I was sleeping"....well then again, so are both of this man's babies...so I guess I'm the only princess in this family! :-) 

Speaking of my sleeping babies...this is what is so hard about working overnights...(there are also numerous advantages, trust me..I'll list them sometime)..but this is what sucks the most.  I sleep late the first day I work, then I get up a couple of hours before I need to leave, at this time of day the kids are playing with friends or in a pool, etc...then I leave for work at 5:30pm...the kids go about their nights with their daddy...I come home at 6:30 in the morning...they are asleep or I see them for a couple of minutes before I go to sleep...then I get up for my second night of work, see them for a bit (maybe)..then I leave for work (today Madalyne wasn't even home to give a kiss too and Zach was asleep from being in a pool all day..sad me)..then I work, I'll go home in the morning and sleep till noon because I don't work tonight and then I'll get up and see them for 8 hours before bed.....it is entirely possible (especially if it is over the weekend) for me to actually miss them at all points and to not see the kids for 2-3 days!!!  That's hard.

So...this is another reason why I am really looking forward to our small vacation at the end of July.  I can't wait to spend time together as a family and get a break from those "ships passing in the night" days.
Well....I suppose I should go work..I'm in triage tonight...it was very busy early so right now I'm getting what I feel is a much deserved break! :-) 
Plus..I'm sort of dreading tonight at home..we are in the midst of a huge DRAMA with trying to fix our own projection t.v.  story and pics to come later..it involves: soldering, desoldering, small pieces, stress, many emails back and forth to tvrepairkits.com and for some reason, Brian seems to need to keep talking to me through clenched teeth.....
W

No comments:

Post a Comment