Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How I know a little bit of my Grandpa is always with me....

My Grandpa Harry was an awesome man and I miss him tremendously.  I got a glimpse yesterday into just how strong my family genes are ( I mean besides the fact that my 90 year old grandma looks like she's in her 60's and my mother and aunts look like they are in their 40's and I, of course look like I'm 18......) but even stronger than the gene of eternal youth..is the gene of LOVE for Heavy Duty TAPE! :-)  I may be joking about the eternal youth gene...but the Duct tape gene is serious business...just ask my brother Andy.

My grandpa LOVED duct tape....duct tape could fix anything in his world...and did.  My aunt Sally recently posted on facebook that Grandpa would have called up BP and said, "fix that oil spill with duct tape"!!  I mean he fixed EVERYTHING with duct tape...I'm almost sure that there were things that needed suturing that he said, "come over here hon, let's just put a little duct tape on that gushing wound"..and it worked.

The reason that I bring this up is that yesterday Zach came to me with a dilemma...his very favorite Indiana Jones Action Figure (gotta put the Action in there) had "somehow" (read Madalyne threw it there in a fit of angst) ended up in one of our basement egress windows...and they are deep.  I was getting ready for work though and told him that he would have to wait for his dad to get home and help him.

Egress window..see it's deep and I didn't want him to fall in:


Not even 10 minutes later I look out the back window to check on them and Zach's PLAYING with the Indiana Jone's Action Figure that was recently in the egress window....!!!!????

How did my 9 year old little man manage to get it out you ask???...

With this contraption;


What is that thing..you ask???

Well..it just happens to be...

Two tents stakes, rope and HEAVY DUTY TAPE!!!!

He put the tape on one of the stakes "so that I could guide it to Indy Mom, and then when the tape stuck to him, I just pulled him out"..."sheesh, what's the big deal, are you really crying mom....I didn't fall in...what's the big deal??"

Yes...Yes I was crying...just a little.

I love you Grandpa and I miss you and I love that Zach loves heavy duty tape as much as you did.
Love Always,
 
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment